Trying to figure out if your toilet is failing? If you stop and think about it, your toilet is one of the most important features of your home. You and your family use it every day. Still, it may be hard to tell when something goes wrong. So, how do you know when your toilet is bad?
If you notice water running down the front or the toilet smells funny, there’s a good chance it needs expert attention–and fast! Let’s take a closer look at some troubleshooting steps for determining the need for toilet repair or replacement.
Signs Your Toilet Needs Repair or Replacement
Toilets have many components. Occasionally, these parts wear out or break. When this happens, your unit needs professional toilet repair services. In some cases, you may even require toilet replacement. A professional plumber can help you know for sure.
Check out this quick list of toilet trouble symptoms and solutions to get you started:
- Toilet flushes infrequently: If only partial flushing occurs, there might be a clog in the toilet’s trap. You can clear this with an auger or plunger.
- Toilet leaks: Leaks usually occur from faulty seals and gaskets around the base of your toilet tank. They need repair or replacement to stop the leak.
- Water stains on the floor near toilet: If you notice that the water has stained your floor, it might be time to replace or repair a leaky toilet flush valve.
- Toilet is loose or clanging when flushed: Most likely, this means that something on the inside of your tank is broken and needs repair.
- Your toilet rocks back and forth at every flush: This usually results from an unbalanced toilet. It might need repair or replacement to stop it from moving so much.
- Toilet runs continuously: If your toilet is running, there’s likely something wrong with the fill valve that needs repair.
- Your toilet doesn’t flush at all: A common cause for this would be if the flapper valve is broken or letting air into the toilet.
Could a Smelly Toilet Mean It’s Bad?
If you smell a foul odor coming from an unused toilet, it’s time for repair work, too – especially if there are any signs of black or moldy substances in the water. This can indicate your septic system needs repair and may even need more attention than toilet repair.
Turn to Progressive Plumbing to Identify and Solve Your Toilet Problem
Unfortunately, toilet problems happen to the best of us. At Progressive Plumbing, it’s our goal to make sure that when issues with your toilet or septic system come up, we take care of them the right way. We get the plumbing repair done right the first time, so you don’t have to think about it again.
How do you know when your toilet is bad? Contact Progressive Plumbing today to schedule toilet repair or replacement. We’ll tell you whether or not your toilet is failing or it just needs a professional repair.